Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Aging population a threat to Canadian blood supply: study




This article is about people who do or do not donate blood. A news reporter said that Canada’s population is aging and we might not have enough blood to donate to sick adults and children. Less than 4 per cent of Canadians donate blood. The common ages that donate blood are ages 15-24 and the least likely ages to donate blood are ages 25-54. Most likely people who are wealthy and immigrants do not donate but people who live in small cities or towns tend to donate blood. There are about 12.5 million people who can donate blood but decide not to.

This was a very interesting article. I learned a lot about the blood supply situation in Canada that I didn't know about before reading the article. For example, I had no idea that young people are the most likely to give blood and that English speaking people and people who live in towns are also more likely to donate their blood. I think that more people should read this article because they would be more likely to want to help do something to fix this very important problem.

1 comment:

  1. This article was interesting because I did not know that the blood banks were so low in their blood supply. It really made me more aware. Maybe the government should make it mandatory for people to donate blood at least once a year so that the blood banks never run out and to help prepare for a huge emergency.

    ReplyDelete